I know wedding dress shopping can be intimidating at the least and super scary at the most. It's something totally new and you usually have no idea what to expect. Being prepared though can really help alleviate any shopping anxiety. When you're informed on what's going on then you tend to stress out less. With that being said, here are my top 10 tips for wedding dress shopping!
1. Be on time for you appointment. This is a given, but being on time really is important to have a great shopping experience. If you're late then you cut into your appointment time and potentially might not be able to try on all the dresses you'd like. On the other hand, you don't want to arrive too early either. Most of the time, especially on weekends, bridal boutiques book appointments back to back. If you arrive early they most likely will still be finishing up with their previous appointment and unable to help you until your appointment time. Arriving a few minutes early is great, but any more than 10 and you should plan on a wait time.
2. Wear nude full coverage underwear and a nude strapless bra. Wearing nude undergarments is a must. You'll be trying on multiple gowns and some will be more sheer or revealing than others. You also should bring a nude strapless bra. You can definitely try the gowns on without a bra, but it's good to bring one just in case.
3. Limit your entourage to 2-5 people MAX. Dress shopping can be so overwhelming! It's hard to figure out what you like, and even more difficult when you throw others people's opinions into the mix. It is highly recommended that you limit the number of people you bring with you. It's best to bring your closest family and friends since they know you, and what you like, the best.
4. Do your research. Before your appointment it's really great to have an idea of the type of gowns you like. You don't have to have your style 100% narrowed down, but having an idea definitely helps. When you come in knowing what you think you like and dislike your appointment will go much more smoothly.
5. Have pictures at the ready. Being able to show our bridal consultant pictures is imperative. While you do not need to know bridal terms by any means, it's easy to get them confused. That's what it is so important to have pictures to show you consultant and be able to point out things you like and dislike.
6. Have an open mind. Most of the time the dress you end up getting looks nothing like the dress you've dreamed about since you were a little girl. And that's okay! It's all about finding the dress that makes you happy. Make sure to trust your consultant and try on dresses that might be out of your comfort zone. Your bridal consultant knows what they're doing and pulls dresses for you for a reason. If you are open to options, then there's no way you won't find your dream dress!
7. Don't start shopping until you are ready to find it. We hear it all the time "This can't be THE ONE, it's only my first appointment!" Actually, it could very well be the dress for you. Believe it or not, it is vey common to find your wedding dress during your first appointment. Go into your first appointment with the idea in mind that you could end up saying "yes to the dress" that day, and most likely you will!
8. Trust your instincts. If you love a dress, that's ALL that matters. You are the bride and you are the one that's going to wear the dress. You know deep down what you love and that should be the determining factor when buying a wedding dress. As long as you pick the one you love the most, you can't go wrong!
9. If you have your wedding shoes, bring them. While it's not required to bring shoes, if you have your wedding shoes, or shoes about the height you might wear, it's encouraged to bring them. It's so nice to see how your shoes might go with potential dresses. It's also very beneficial to bring shoes to see how much a potential wedding dress would need to be hemmed.
10. Schedule a break in between appointments. Wedding dress shopping is exhausting. Don't get me wrong, it is SO much fun however, typically most bridal appointments are an hour and a half long. After a few of them most brides need a break! It's great to schedule in some time to get a coffee or grab lunch in between appointments. That way, you and your entourage can be recharged and ready for the rest of your shopping experience!
lots of love,